Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Story of Draupadi

Dear Diary,

In two days I have my swayamara. My father, Drupada, has been organizing it for months. He made a bow so strong that it would be hard to bend and strung by a normal person. He would have to be very strong and have the skills to do it. I do not really know how to feel about all of this. On one side I am happy to get married like any other girl, but on the other hand I will be leaving my family. It is all happening way too fast. The whole palace has been in a hustle for the last  few months trying to make sure everything would be done in time. The decorations, the invitations, the food, and even my attire. Oh! It was all so beautiful. There were vines going from the top of the pillars all the way down to the bottom. There were tiger lilies by every entrance and the path leading up to the castle was covered in rose petals. The way from my room to the event was also covered in roses. All the invitations were in silver ink and people were given gold coins along with the invites. The menu was everything you could think of with hundreds of desserts. He spent months and months trying to think of a challenge that would be hard to do. He asked so many people for their advice, before finally coming up with the perfect target. I just hope someone can actually do it. I do not want to marry just anyone because it is too easy, but I also do not want it to be too hard. He had a large pole which had a wheel that was spinning on top of it. Above that there is a fish and in order for someone to win me they have to first string the bow. Then they have to strike the eye of the fish with the arrow from the reflection of the water. That is going to be really difficult. Like, seriously who would be able to do that? I do not think anyone will be able to do it.

Dear Diary,

SO last night before I went to sleep, I overheard my parents talking about this issue. My mom was worried about someone actually being able to do this and win my hand in marriage. Now what my father said actually surprised me. "Do not worry," he said.
"I have chosen this because I have someone in mind. I know he will be able to perform this task very well. He is the right choice for our daughter."
My mother was shocked, just like me. "Who is it? Why did you not tell me before?"
He said, "It is the great archer, Arjuna. He is very capable and will be able to take care of our daughter the way we want her to be taken care of. She will be very happy with him. I am sure." After hearing all of this I left and went straight to my room. I do not know what to make of it. I mean I guess he is a good guy. I think I will just trust my father and what he thinks for me.

Dear Diary,

(Right after she woke up)
Today's the day. It is finally happening. The day that I had been waiting for. People from all over the country are coming to this. Kings, princes, all of the important people were coming. I wonder who will be the one to win. Would it be Arjuna, like my father predicted? Would it be someone else? Would that person be able to take care of my needs? Would he keep me happy? Ahh, so many questions! I am so nervous but it is also getting me no where. I am just going to focus on getting ready and having a good time. My father can take care of the rest.

(After the event)
I was dressed in a red and gold dress. I had jewelry covering me from head to toe and I definitely felt like a princess. Everyone was sitting in a stadium up in like stands and the people that were trying to compete were in the middle. I was sitting with a couple of my maids and my father. So many people tried and failed. I was starting to give up hope. Karna was going to try but I did not let that happen. I mean how could I let someone marry me, that is not a prince. I am a king's daughter, not a nobody that would marry someone from the streets. We took a break during the event so that people could get something to eat and drink before continuing on. A brahmin tried next and he actually managed to do it. Everyone was so shocked. I thought that Arjuna was going to win. How did this guy manage to do it? Who is he? Everyone was going towards him and some other brahmins tried to stop him. At this point I was just so confused. I really had no idea what was going on. Then Krishna stepped in and told everyone that it had been fair. He introduced himself and I finally realized that it was Arjuna who then lead me away and that was the end of it.

Draupadi's Swayamwara

Author's Note:
For this story I have not changed much other than a couple of small details. I wrote this story as a diary entry which gives you all of the information leading up to the Swayamwara. It even tells you a little bit about what happens after. I wrote this story from the point of view of Draupadi. This way you have an inside on the way she was feeling about all of this and what she was going through. The original story was not focused on her. Instead the light was on the contest and what happened during it. I decided to change that and make Draupadi the main person since all of this is for her. It would not be fair if she was the only one that we do not really know about. I chose this image because it shows Draupadi standing there on the side waiting to out the garland on someone. They do not really show a lot on Draupadi's part in this event other than she gets married. Everything is focused on the man out there about to try, Arjuana about to hit the arrow and the rest of the people sitting all around them, watching what would happen next. You can even see Krishna on the left, along with his brother, Balram.


5 comments:

  1. This was a great story! I like that it was written in the form of Draupadi's diary. That was very clever. You're right, there isn't much focus on how Draupadi feels. Of course she has her own opinions and worries, they are just not voiced. I liked that you were able to do that efficiently here. I myself am considering writing a story that voices more of Sita's feelings. I think the women in the epics don't have as much say and we should stand up for them! I only saw one typo:

    "Ahh, so many question!" You just need an "s" at the end of questions!!

    Great job with this story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that you focused on how Draupadi feels. I do agree that there wasn't much discussion on her side, but I feel that the Mahabharata does this often with certain characters. I did find that the last story that I read from you also had the same format. Maybe you could play around with a different form of story? Give it a try! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shruti! I always love reading diary entries because you get so much more information about the characters themselves. You did a good job providing insight into Draupadi and her worries. Throughout the Mahabharata women are not given much choice so I liked to see Draupadi’s own thoughts and feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shruti! I also did a story from this scene! And weirdly enough, I did a journal entry thing too. I really liked your version because you gave us an insight into what Draupadi was thinking. I would be scared too if some stranger was taking me home to be his wife forever! I also liked how she stood up for herself when she didn't let Karna try. Great job on this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your take of the story of Draupadi and her swayamara. Her father had Arjuna in his mind all along! What would have been funny or if you are looking to make it longer or into a two parter is to have someone else besides Arjuna win. That would be an interesting fate!
    I like the diary entry style as well. I might have to try it in one of my next stories!

    ReplyDelete